VA-94 was an Attack Squadron of the U.S. Navy. It was established as Bombing Squadron VB-99 on 1 July 1943 but redesignated as VB-20 on 15 October 1943.Continue Reading
- 1943 - '48
- Dauntless Jul 1943
- Helldiver 15 Nov 1943
- Helldiver Jul 1944
- Helldiver 18 Apr 1945
- Helldiver 04 Aug 1945
- Helldiver Mar 1946
- Skyraider 04 Oct 1948
VA-94 was an Attack Squadron of the U.S. Navy. It was established as Bombing Squadron VB-99 on 1 July 1943 but redesignated as VB-20 on 15 October 1943.
- 31 August 1944: The squadron’s first combat action involved an attack on the Bonin Islands.
- September 1944: The squadron participated in pre-invasion strikes on Palau Islands and provided air support for the invasion of Peleliu.
- October 1944: Squadron aircraft participated in air strikes against Okinawa, Formosa and Luzon.
- 24 October 1944: The squadron participated in the Battle for Leyte Gulf. VB-20’s SB2Cs flew sorties against a powerful Japanese surface force in the Sibuyan Sea. These attacks contributed to the sinking of the Japanese battleship Musashi, one of the two largest battleships in the world. The following squadron personnel were awarded the Navy Cross for this action: Ensigns M. E. Adams, R. J. Barnes, H. A. Koster, R. D. Olson, M. T. Ross, and D. D. J. Spanagel; Lieutenant (jg)s P. P. Cook, J. M. Glynn, R. D. Reed, J. P. Trytten, and J. E. Tsarnas; Lieutenants W. N. Christensen, J. S. Cooper, H. C. Hogan, R. E. Moore, R. D. Warner and R. S. Wilcox; and Commander R. E. Riera.
- 25 October 1944: Squadron aircraft were part of the Fast Carrier Task Force that attacked the Japanese carrier force in the Battle of Cape Engano. Four Japanese carriers were sunk during this engagement. The following squadron personnel were awarded the Navy Cross for their actions during the Battle of Cape Engano: Ensigns H. C. Bearden, D. F. Hughes, C. Z. Stevens III, and W. P. Wright; Lieutenant (jg) W. C. Phtilla; Lieutenants W. W. Anderson, C. Burkhart and L. C. Flynt; and Commander R. E. Riera.
- November 1944: Squadron aircraft flew strikes against a Japanese troop convoy in Ormoc Bay, Leyte and enemy positions on Luzon.
- December 1944: The squadron participated in strikes flown against Luzon.
- January 1945: Squadron aircraft flew strikes against Luzon, Formosa, Hong Kong, and Japanese convoys in South China Sea and Okinawa.
- 12 January 1945: The following squadron personnel were awarded the Silver Star medal for action against a Japanese cruiser protecting a convoy of cargo ships: Lieutenants W. N. Christensen and W. W. Anderson and Lieutenant (jg) H. Rubner.